Saturday, September 15, 2012

~ Sweet & Savory Salmon ~

As anyone who lives in the Pacific Northwest can testify, salmon is a popular dish around here. That being said, I have to confess that no one in my household likes salmon. We are not big fish eaters in general. I am allergic to shellfish ((Grrr!!)) and both of the boys have had bad experience with fishy foods in the past. You can therefore imagine my conundrum when one of our neighbors offered us some salmon that he had caught himself. The gesture was terribly sweet and we really haven't gotten a chance to get to know them yet, thus I found myself cheerfully accepting his offer. Only later did I realise that I now had this lovely fillet of salmon.. and no idea what to do with it.

I knew I had to find a real winner with this one or no one would like it and our neighbor's generosity would have gone to waste. After searching dozens of recipes and even more reviews, I finally embarked on my first salmon adventure.

And I have to say, it turned out amazing! Everyone loved it. The best compliment for a cook is when you watch people go back for seconds.. or when they pick at the crumbs on the dish when they think no one is looking. Tonight I received both. It was such a hit that as we were cleaning up my husband turned to me and said "Post it". So here it is. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Rub

1 1/2 lbs    Salmon Fillets, skinned and deboned
                  Lemon Pepper
                  Garlic Powder

Lay the fillets out side by side and sprinkle liberally with the lemon pepper then lightly coat with the garlic powder. Rub the spices in good, making sure to work them into the cracks. Flip the fillets over and repeat.

Marinade

2/3 c         Soy Sauce
2/3 c         Brown Sugar
2/3 c         Water

Mix together in a sealable plastic container until the sugar is completely dissolved.

1/4 c         Vegetable Oil

Add to marinade and mix well.

Stab each fillet several times with a fork then dip the underside of the fillet in the marinade. Flip the fillet over and stab a few more times with the fork. Lay the fillets, flake side down, in the marinade and seal the container. Refrigerate and marinade overnight.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C)

Create small foil envelopes to house the fillets. Insert a fillet in each then spoon a tablespoon or two of the marinade into the packet before sealing it up. Cover a cookie sheet with foil, then place the sealed packs on a cookie sheet, side by side. This will keep the juices from spilling onto the cookie sheet. I am a strong proponent of less dishes to wash.

Bake for 15 - 19 mins, depending on the thickness of the fillets. The salmon will be ready when it flakes apart easily. Serve over steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment